Sustainably designed, high-performance roofing shingles. Malarkey uses rubberized asphalt technology, upcycled tires and plastic, and pollution-reducing granules. This system includes:
- Upcycled Tires and Plastics: Polymers from recycled rubber tires and plastic bottles improve shingle durability while reducing landfill waste. Each roof diverts 5 rubber tires and the equivalent of 350 plastic milk jugs from the landfill.
- NEX Polymer Modified Asphalt: Asphalt core of shingle is rubberized with virgin synthetic rubber polymer (SBS) to enhance shingle strength, flexibility, and resilience. Wind warranties from 110-130 mph and up to Class 4 impact resistance. Insurance discounts may apply.
- Polymer Modified Adhesion: Proprietary synthetic rubber adhesive (SEBS) resists dry-out and delivers extreme protection from high winds, wind-driven rain, and delamination. Up to 50% more adhesion bonds and twice the number of rain seals than standard shingles.
- 3M Smog Reducing Granules: TIME Top 50 Invention of 2018. Clean the air by reducing air pollution. Each roof has the smog-fighting potential of 2 or more trees.
- 3M Copper Granules: Reduce black streaks caused by algae growth. Up to Limited Lifetime algae warranty
- 3M Roofing Granules: Deeply embedded, ceramic-coated granules protect shingles from the aging effects of weather and UV sunlight. Up to 65% greater granules adhesion than the ASTM standard (D3462).
- Fiberglass Mat: Provides structural reinforcement, and combined with polymer modified asphalt, 10-35% greater tear strength than standard shingles as measured per the ASTM standard (D3463).
- The Zone Nailing Area: Up to 2x wider nailing and common bond area, with a tapered shim, helps ensure shingle is properly fastened (nails penetrate both shingle layers), lays flat, and effectively sheds water to help prevent troughing.
NEX Polymer Modified Asphalt Technology
Standard shingles are made with 100-year old technology called oxidation, which uses oxygen and extreme heat to deliberately age (harden) asphalt to raise its softening point so it doesn’t melt on hot roofs. This process is highly pollutive (TONS of annual air pollution) and has the adverse effect of significantly degrading asphalt’s natural pliability, causing standard shingles to prematurely become brittle, crack, and lose hold of their protective granules.
Malarkey Roofing pioneered a better way. Instead of oxidation, we use polymers (molecular chains that makeup rubber and plastics) to enhance shingle performance. Our unique formulation combines high-grade asphalt with synthetic polymers to rubberize shingles for exceptional all-weather responsiveness, superior granule adhesion, and enhanced wind, rain, and impact resistance.
We also incorporate ‘upcycled’ rubber and plastic polymers from used tires and recycled hard plastics (ex. milk jugs, shampoo bottles) to improve shingle strength, durability, and resilience, greatly extending shingle life and preventing these waste materials from entering our landfills and oceans. The result is NEX Polymer Modified Asphalt – is a better, cleaner, more sustainable technology and fortifies every Malarkey shingle.
All-Weather Performance: Shingles are in a constant state of expansion and contraction caused by changing temperatures. Unlike standard shingles, which prematurely become brittle and crack from stress, NEX Polymer Modified Asphalt Technology rubberizes shingles for enhanced all-weather flexibility, strength, and resilience to better withstand temperature swings and weather extremes.
Resists Impact: Virgin synthetic rubber polymer (SBS) and upcycled rubber and plastic polymers add durability, tear strength, and industry-leading impact from hail and debris. Our Class 3 and Class 4 (highest impact rating possible) shingles may be eligible for insurance discounts.
Resists Wind and Rain: Six bonds (3 laminate, 2 rain, 1 wind) of proprietary synthetic rubber adhesive (SEBS), coupled with TheZone, our patented wider nailing area, seal shingles and block out wind and wind-driven rain. Wind warranties from 110-130 MPH.
Resists Algae: Blend of algae-resistant granule options, including 3M Copper Granules and shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector, help prevent unsightly black streaks
Resists Fire: Shingles meet the highest fire rating (Class A).
Lasts Longer: Granules are a shingle’s primary line of defense. Polymer rubberization enhances asphalt’s natural thermo-cycling resilience and grip, resulting in up to 65% greater adhesion than the ASTM standard (D3462), and longer product life.
Reduces Air Pollution: 3M Smog Reducing Granules harness sunlight to photo catalytically convert smog (NO, NO2) into water-soluble ions (NO3), actively reducing air pollution. Each average size roof has the smog-fighting potential of 2 or more trees.
Upcycles Tires and Plastics: Polymers from recycled tires and plastic bottles improve shingle strength and durability while reducing landfill waste. Anti-aging technology inherent in these materials adds even more protection from damaging UV sunlight. Each average-size roof diverts the equivalent of 5 rubber tires and 350 plastic milk jugs from the landfill.
Cleaner Manufacturing: NEX Technology results in much lower emissions than the highly-pollutive oxidation process used to make traditional shingles.
What is Upcycling?
Automobile tires are highly engineered for all-weather performance and durability – attributes also desired in shingles. By incorporating used tires, as well as post-consumer hard plastics, not only do we make our shingles more environmentally friendly by recycling these products, we also benefit from the advanced technology inherent in the products themselves, ‘upcycling’ these products (incorporating recycled materials to improve product performance) to improve our own. Each roof divers the equivalent of 5 rubber tires and 350 plastic milk jugs from the landfill.
Vista AR (algae-resistant) is an architectural shingle engineered with industry-leading, sustainable NEX Polymer Modified Asphalt Technology (PMA) which combines high-grade asphalt (weathering) with advanced polymers (strength, flexibility) and upcycled materials (durability, sustainability) to rubberize the shingles for exceptional all-weather performance, superior granule embedment, and longer product life.
- Class 3 Impact Rating
- Limited Lifetime Shingle Warranty
- 12-Year RightStart Period
- 12-Year Algae Warranty
- 110-130 MPH Wind Warranty
Legacy is an algae-resistant architectural shingle engineered with industry-leading, sustainable NEX Polymer Modified Asphalt Technology (PMA) which combines high-grade asphalt (weathering) with advanced polymers (strength, flexibility) and upcycled materials (durability, sustainability) to rubberize the shingles for exceptional all-weather performance, superior granule embedment, and longer product life.
- Class 4 Impact Rating
- Limited Lifetime Shingle Warranty
- 15-Year RightStart Period
- Limited Lifetime Scotchgard Warranty
- 110-130 MPH Wind Warranty
Malarkey Shingle Colors
Other Shingle Brands
Integrity is built from the bottom up. Lay-on-layer, only CertainTeed provides the peace of mind that comes with the best components performing together for peak efficiency.
High-quality asphalt shingles are the first line of defense against the elements and are most effective when used in combination with the complete IKO roofing system.
A complete system of highly engineered components, designed, built, and tested to deliver total protection under constantly changing conditions. It’s advanced science—for performance and beauty designed to last.
Need a Roof Repair or Roof Replacement?
This is the question that homeowners often face when it comes to roofing problems. While repairs can extend the life of your roof, they’ll only take you so far. Here are some tips and things to think about when you are giving your roof a self-evaluation. This will help give you an idea if you should get a roof repair or a roof replacement. Your roof is the first line of defense against the elements, which is why you need a healthy roof.
When was the last time your roof was evaluated?
Signs of damage usually start small, but when ignored for a long period of time, serious structural damage to your property can occur. If you do not know the last time you had a professional contractor inspect your roof, we suggest you have someone at Woods Roofing come to your home or business to give you a free estimate and inspection for your new roof! We will be able to determine if there is storm damage or natural wear and tear to your roof that makes it vulnerable to South Dakota weather conditions. Hail, high winds, heavy rain, snow, and other elements from Mother Nature are all things that can cause damage to your roof such as granule loss, shingle bruising, lifted or blown-off shingles, leaky roofs, and damaged gutters to name a few.
If you do not want to have someone come out to evaluate and inspect your roof for you, you can do it yourself with a few simple questions: Roof Evaluation Guide.