Roof Repair or Roof Replacement?
This is the question that homeowners often face when it comes to roofing problems. While repairs can extend the life of your roof, they’ll only take you so far. Here are some tips and things to think about when you are giving your roof a self-evaluation. This will help give you an idea if you should get a roof repair or a roof replacement. Your roof is the first line of defense against the elements, which is why you need a healthy roof.
When was the last time your roof was evaluated?
Signs of damage usually start small, but when ignored for a long period of time, serious structural damage to your property can occur. If you do not know the last time you had a professional contractor inspect your roof, we suggest you have someone at Woods Roofing come to your home or business to give you a free estimate and inspection for your new roof! We will be able to determine if there is storm damage or natural wear and tear to your roof that makes it vulnerable to South Dakota weather conditions. Hail, high winds, heavy rain, snow, and other elements from Mother Nature are all things that can cause damage to your roof such as granule loss, shingle bruising, lifted or blown-off shingles, leaky roofs, and damaged gutters to name a few.
Our Roofing Services
Our line of asphalt shingles offers your home maximum protection with a variety of styles. We offer only the best products to help serve you the best we can from top of the line shingle brands CertainTeed, IKO, Malarkey, and Owens Corning.
The appearance of a natural wood roof is hard to beat, especially if you are going for a traditional look. Along with the natural beauty, Cedar shakes and shingles are proven to have a high impact resistance rating and have been tested to withstand high wind speeds.
Stone Coated Steel
Whether you want the look of a shingle, clay tile, cedar shake, or a slate roof, you will be able to select a style that will enhance the beauty and increase the efficiency of your home. Your steel roof will look beautiful and require little to no maintenance for decades to come.
These roofs are durable, have longevity, provide resistance from the elements, are energy efficient, increase the resale value on your home, and come in a variety of colors to complement what your home already has. Metal roofs are becoming more and more popular.
CeDUR is a polyurethane roofing product, leading in simulated wood roofing products that ensures long term durability and superior value. Developed to withstand nature’s harsh elements and UV conditions while showing the elegance of a natural wood roof.
Self-Evaluation Roofing Questions
There are 5 simples steps and questions when it comes to doing a self-evaluation of your roof.
- The first part of your roof inspection should start on the ground. Are small or large pieces of your roofing materials found on the ground? This should be checked after a rainy or windy day. Look around the bottom of downspouts. Are there many granules washing off of the shingles?
- Look at the roof itself. Can you see any pieces missing or lifting up? Can you see any bare spots where the roof is gone and black underlayment is visible?
- Next, look inside the house. Are there any leaks? Look for slight discoloring or paint peeling. See if the wallpaper is pulling away from where it meets the ceiling. Check for dampness around the baseboards and on the carpet. If you have a skylight, look for signs of leaking around that.
- If you have access to your attic, bring a good light up to inspect the wood for stains or water. Is the insulation damp or matted down? If the insulation has a paper backing, is the backing wet or stained?
- (Lastly and optional) If you are able, inspect the roof by climbing on it. Be extremely careful. Here are a few things to look for: Overall appearance. Are pieces of the roof missing? Can you see the heads of roofing nails?
What to do with this information?
If any of the above issues were present during your self-evaluation, it is best to call in a professional who is fully insured and has Great References (Like Us! (605) 764-9517 ). We would love to come and go over your roof with you and help kickstart your next project! Let us know what we can do to help you out.
An effective seamless gutter system will protect your home from the effects of rainfall, erosion, and water damage. Rain gutters are essential for every home because they keep water away from the foundation of your home.
It takes a complete system – including proper ventilation and insulation products to maximize performance. With a properly insulated and ventilated home, you’ll be able to manage and mitigate excess heat and humidity more effectively and help extend the life of your home.